Reporting directly to the Head of Technology, the Data Warehouse Engineer primary responsibility is to develop and manage a data warehouse.
Got early stage entrepreneurial energy? Ready for a muddy boots experience? Want to build the next Amazon on the new frontier? Based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting to Copia’s Head of Technology, the Data Warehouse Engineer is tasked with overseeing the full life-cycle of back-end development of the business’s data warehouse.
Reporting directly to the Head of Technology, the Data Warehouse Engineer specific responsibilities include the following:
• Provides Business Intelligence thought-leadership and guidance the organization around leveraging its information assets to improve analytics, decision-making and overall business performance.
• Leads the development, specification and communication of the Data Management and Business Intelligence architecture plan and the infrastructure components required to support it.
• Provides leadership and management to projects undertaken by the Data Management/Business Intelligence area.
• Provides expertise and architectural leadership in the areas of Data Governance, Master Data Management, Analytics, Data Warehousing, Scorecards, Dashboards, Business Performance Monitoring and Data Mining Is responsible for managing the team that develops and carries out internal IT projects for assigned business units.
• Guides and trains team members on the new technological and architectural trends in the BI area.
• Consults and supports IT management in the development of tactical Data Management and Business Intelligence plans. *Recommends appropriate initiatives, enhancements and development opportunities that can be utilized to meet business area objectives and drive business growth
• Evaluates new technological developments and evolving business requirements including Predictive analytics, data driven discovery (hidden patterns) and what-if analysis and provides for transformation of disparate data into business insights and actionable information. Advises on systems scalability and rapid deployment of solutions
• Directs and manages the work of consultants and vendors Understands how to leverage applications for competitive advantage
• Will be responsible for system design, implementation, and administration of all components that make up the Teradata Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence infrastructure, applications and related tools
• Demonstrate knowledge of data warehouse implementation process, from business requirements through logical modelling, physical database design, data sourcing and data transformation, data loading, SQL, end-user tools, database and SQL performance tuning
• Lead large-scale data warehousing projects, and is responsible for the overall technical solution meeting the Business Intelligence needs of the business customers
• Contribute to the career growth and mentorship of other members of the Data Warehouse team.
• Establish standards and procedures team reporting and documentation.
• Prepare project reports for management, clients or others.
• Confer with project personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
• Coordinate and respond to requests for changes from original specifications.
• Develop quality assurance test plans.
• Direct quality assurance testing.
• Ensure easy access to information that is useful to users.
• Keep close, direct contact with key end-user representatives to ensure technologies are providing valuable information-sharing capabilities to customers.
• Work closely with end users, business technologists and others to understand and prioritize business goals and information needs, and then develop system requirements and design specifications; direct efforts to refine conceptual systems design requirements into the technical design.
• Provide leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project life cycle.
• Lead the effort in creative approaches to problem solving and quality deliverables supporting business needs.
SSpecifically, the Data Warehouse Engineer will have:
Education Qualifications and Experience
– Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration, engineering or a related discipline with an information technology focus.
– Four to six years of progressive broad-based information Data Warehouse development experience; highly desirable four or more years working with RedShift, Tableau, Informatica, PostgreSQL and MS SQL.
– Excellent consultative, communication and management skills, strong analytical ability and the ability to work effectively with client and IT management and staff.
– Strong planning and organizational skills; Knowledge of project management, finance, and accounting processes, process dependencies and linkages across Enterprise
– Strong oral, written and presentation communications skills.
– Solid understanding of the software development process, including requirement gathering, analysis/design, development tools/technologies, release/version control, contemporary testing methodologies. and deployment management
– Strong Experience with Data Modelling, Warehousing, Relational Database
– Experience with other BI Tools with Business Objects, ECM, Archival experience a plus.
– Strong experience with Data Mapping, Data Modelling, Data Mining, and Data Warehousing/Mart.
Compensation will be in the form of a base salary commensurate with experience
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter in the form of a detailed email explaining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org